Sunday, October 13, 2013

Census Sunday–John and Anna Pakledinaz/Pakledinac, 1930 US Census, Warren Township, Macomb, Michigan

image

image

It is Census Sunday and I am looking at the 1930 Census for the household of John and Anna Pakledinaz. Here is the transcription from the census:

1.  John Pakledinac, Head, owned No. 70 on the farm schedule on 13 mile rd., 45 yrs old, Mother/Father/himself born in Ireland, Native tongue: Irish, Immigrated 1905, Alien status, works as a farmer on a truck farm.
2. Anna, wife, 40 yrs old, Mother/Father/self born in Ireland, Native tongue: Irish, immigrated 1909, alien status, No occupation
3. Adam, son, 19 yrs old, born in Ohio, no school since 1 sept. 1929, Occupation: laborer on farm
4. Ligebth, daughter, 18 yrs old, born: Ohio, no school since 1 sept. 1929, no occupation
5. Tresa, daughter, 15 yrs old, born Michigan, no school since 1 sept. 1929, no occupation
6. Anna, daughter, 13 yrs old, born Michigan, no school since 1 sept. 1929, no occupation
7. John, son, 12yrs old, born Michigan, has attended school since 1 sept. 1929, no occupation
8. Rose, daughter, 10 yrs old, born Michigan, has attended school since 1 sept. 1929, no occupation
9.  James, son, 8 yrs old, born Michigan, has attended school since 1 sept. 1929, no occupation
10. Leona, daughter, 6 yrs old, born Michigan, no school since 1 sept. 1929, no occupation
11Joseph, son, 2 1/2 yrs old, born Michigan, no school since 1 sept. 1929, no occupation

Something's of note for myself:

  • The surname is spelled with a C at the end, just like in his home country of Croatia/Slavonia. It is pronounced as a Z so I wonder how the spelling got that way on this Census – the Z ending if more familiar here in the States.
  • I’ve already written about the Ireland/Irish stuff and disproven all of that and don’t think I’ll ever know where that comes from. You can read that post here.
  • They lived on a farm in the Truck Farm industry and John worked on his own accord. I’m assuming this was a small vegetable farm on their own land. I need to do some research about truck farms in Michigan to confirm this.
  • He also states that he owned this farm – so have to look into the land records for this.
  • Both John and Anna lists their immigration years and that they have Alien status – I was hoping they would have put in their first papers for naturalization but I guess not – but that won’t stop me from looking.
  • Their second child was born in Ohio in about 1912 and their third child (my grandmother) was born in Michigan in 1914. So, that narrows down a timeframe for their move from Ohio to Michigan.

If I’ve missed anything, please let me know if the comments.

Thanks for stopping by and keep diggin’ for that family.

Chris

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Jack and I do believe we are related. I have contacted you via the email you provided. I removed your comment because it contained your email and did not want to let that out to anyone.

    Thanks again,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete