Sunday, September 1, 2013

iPad/iPhone for Genealogy and Research - Pt. 1




I am assuming that I am not alone when I confess that the search for technology which will make my life easier is an addiction for me. I'm convinced that there is some form of new technology that will improve every part of my life and my workflow. I can spend hours researching different technology which will improve my workflow and make me a better researcher, more organized, a better time-manager, etc... you get the picture.
So, I figured I would try and pass on some of the apps and other technology stuff that I use in this digital research age.
The first thing to talk about is the general stuff everyone gets with the iPad/iPhone - the synchronization of your calendar and emails.
I have an iPad (obviously, or I probably wouldn't be writing about using it for research and genealogy) and I also have an iPhone as does my wife. We use gmail as our main email provider and have a family email address in which we also use the calendar. Before we got our istuff we did not use the shared google calendar very much since we had to be on a computer to look or add anything - it just wasn't very convenient. Once we both got our iPhones the convenience was there so I synced our gmail accounts and we were able to share a calendar real-time. I can update from my iphone while at work and within a minute or so my wife sees the update to our calendar. But, it is more than a real-time sharable calendar.
Probably like most, I have more than one email. I have the family email but I also have a personal email and also one for my genealogy. These are all gmail based and all attached to my istuff so I can review and respond to emails anytime. I also use the calendars associated with these different gmail accounts. I use one for my blogging editorial calendar (I'll talk about this in another post) and I also use another calendar for my day job. Using my istuff to link all these together, all my emails and all my calendars are with me whenever and wherever I go - very convenient and very portable.
If you are using some of this istuff and you do not have your calendars and emails synced up, I would highly recommend it and it is really easy - any google search will bring up instructions on how to do it.
Like I said, I use google for mail and calendars and find it really easy - if you use some other calendar and email provider with your istuff let me know how it works in the comments.
Thanks for reading and stay tuned for another post about how I'm using the iPad and iPhone for my research. Keep diggin' for that family.
Chris


No comments:

Post a Comment