Monday, May 23, 2011

Military Monday–James “Gus” Pakledinaz

My Great Uncle, James Augustus Pakledinaz, called Gus by close friends and family was a Coxswain in the U.S. Coast Guard during World War II. He served aboard the U.S.S. Cavalier, where they say heavy action and took part in the invasions of Tinian and Saipan in the Pacific. In the picture, he is the 5th from the right. uss cavalierAnd for those movie star buffs, you may recognize the guy directly to my uncle’s left. It is Cesar Romero, movie and television star. From accounts from my family, Cesar would always stop by and visit with my uncle’s family whenever he was in town and treated my uncle’s mother to dinner.

My uncle is one of the many projects I have started throughout my family history endeavors but just quite haven’t found all the time to devote to finding his complete military story. But, I will conquer this.

Until next time, keep diggin’ up your family.

Chris

1 comment:

  1. What a treasure to have this photo! There are so many WWII resources online now, and Pakledinaz is such a unique name...I hope you're able to trace his service. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete